Quantcast

Monday, November 8, 2010

Raffia & Waxed Leaf Garland Tutorial

When we decided to wax some pretty fall leaves (I used this tutorial because Greta is not a scaredy cat and lets her children partake in the waxing fun - thanks Greta!), I knew I wanted to make a garland.  But our window is so huge, that I was afraid it would look too puny just hanging on a string.  So I decided to spruce it up a bit with some raffia.
Now I know what you're thinking, raffia, ugh?!?  I know, it reminds me of bad 80's country decor too.  But I promise when used with respect, raffia can look very apropos for the season.  Use it sparingly and wisely.  And for goodness sake, don't tie a bow with it.  If you look in my corners, I tied a bow in my garland and then almost gagged.  So I took a pair of scissors to the loops and cut them to make more of a shabby looking fringe.  It also helped (I think), that I used a darker color of raffia, not the usual light beige variety.
So enough of my babbling, here's the easy-peasy tutorial: 
A long pretty line of waxed leaves
I bought Martha Stewart glitter for the first time & used it on this project.  Wow.
It is on a pedestal because it deserves to be. 
 And hang above your favorite window!
Or on your not so favorite mantel
Tomorrow I'll reveal more of the dreaded mantel and how I changed the decor to fall in love with it again.  
I also reveal how I made this sweet Give Thanks banner. 
For now, I'm linking up to Centsational Girl's Fall Craft Party

20 comments:

  1. so cute...I love the glitter on the wooden clips....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your photos here. I still think you are a bit nuts for jumping right in to more decorating, but really I'm not at all surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this whimsical garland and your pictures are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. adorable! think i am going to have to try the clothespins with glitter this week.
    janine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great DIY! Great pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so cool! I can't wait to read more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh lovely indeed! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glitter phobic, but those clothes pins are so dang cute that I may just change my ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the third wax leaf garland I have seen in the land of blog... so apparently the 80's are in... or did you say 70's?? ;) ha ha!!

    fun!! I know I won't do this... though I would if I were more organized!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! If I didn't have an infant around I'd probably try to do it... glitter + baby seems a bad combination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. martha does make some mean glitter!
    love this and love that you showed a way to use raffia that was completely 2010. oh, and i love that you used the word apropos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I keep my martha stewart glitter on a pedestal too :) it's the prettiest stuff in my craft area and deserves to be shown off!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super pretty! I mugged the tree-trimming guys behind Kohl's and got whole branches! I'm going to try and make your garland before Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so cute! And I really love the extra little sparkle the glitter adds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So beautiful. I love the colors. I'm going to share on my Facebook wall later today. PreservingHomeBasics.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a sucker for garland and bunting! LOVE THIS!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! What a beautiful garland! Thank you for the inspiration-

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I read and appreciate every single one. If you enable your email address I'd love to respond :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...